Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Prezi - Revisited

I'm torn at showing Prezi to my teachers due to the complications of this platform. After reading a few blogs and FAQs I come to learn the the education side of this came about this past February and there are still some bugs to work out before I feel like I can truly promote it. First, in order for all students to have the upgraded free education account they must have a valid educational email account. Most schools don't have this option or if they do, it is for internal email only. We are in the same situation. None of our students have school email accounts and the ones that do have email accounts we are using ePals. Second, there is no way to monitor your students when using prezi. As a former classroom teacher that is not an option. We would all love to believe all of our students are appropriately using the Internet all the time, but let's face it, they don't. We tend to have those few students who don't follow the rules and policies and like to push their limit. Then there is the fact that there is an age requirement. I totally understand why we need age requirements but this now forces me to change my training to teacher use and not student use.

With this being said, I'm worried about promoting this product. I am keeping an open mind. Being that this was originally created for the business world and not education, I'm holding out for changes. There are tons of educational Prezi followers and they have voiced their concerns as well as suggestions for making this product better.
Now, don't get me wrong, I think Prezi has a lot of potential in the classroom. I feel that it can promote higher-level thinking in our students and forces them to actually think, map out and discuss their presentation prior to creating it. But if Prezi developers don't consider educational use for this tool, I'm not sure I will stick with it. I wish they would design their interface like that of GlogsterEDU. It is such a simple and easy way to manage your students while keeping them safe. Hopefully Prezi developers will hear our cries and listen like those at GlogsterEDU.

No comments:

Post a Comment